Job Title: Up2Us Americorps Soccer Coach Mentor at Open Field
Job Status: Part Time
The Coach Mentor implements educational soccer programs for boys and girls ages 6-18, primarily from the immigrant and refugee community, that increase social and emotional learning, leadership skills, mentor relationships, gender equity, and conflict prevention and resolution in low resource communities where we work. They are responsible for cultivating safe spaces on and around soccer fields.
- Design and plan sport-based youth development programs
- Implement programs as a coach-mentor
- Track attendance and enrollment of youth participants
- Collect and delivers necessary permission forms and contact information
- Train, mentor, and support Youth Leaders, teenagers from target communities, with support from Program Coordinator
- Organize and participate in community events to promote our mission
- Support social media and digital communications, as necessary
- Conduct standard office management and administrative tasks such as proofreading, database management, printing, and mailing
Additionally, the Up2Us AmeriCorps Coach will:
- Encourage participants to gain and develop life skills, knowledge, and techniques through sport, using lessons learned at Up2Us Sports’ best in class training events
- Perform data collection activities, as directed by your Up2Us Sports Program Manager
- Act as a role model, gaining the respect and trust of the community and youth served Up2Us AmeriCorps Coaches must complete the following requirements to ensure successful completion of the AmeriCorps program:
- Completion of the minimum required hours of service (900 hours in 12 months) and training by last day of coach contract
- Attendance at the Up2Us Coach orientation
- Completion of bi-weekly timesheets
- Attendance at days of community service
- Attend/participate in Up2Us Sports trainings, meetings, and special initiatives
- Attend Coach Training Institute (date to be announced by Program Manager)
Eligibility and Expectations:
- AmeriCorps is open to U.S. citizens, nationals, or lawful permanent residents.
- Members must be 18 years old, or 17 with written parental/guardian consent.
- Members must have, or be working toward a High School diploma, GED, or its equivalent
- Enthusiasm for cultivating a safe and positive space for youth
- Creative and skillful in problem solving
- Strong desire to learn and share knowledge
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail
- Comfortability working with a diverse group of youth and families
- Cultural empathy and open-mindedness
- Commitment to anti-oppression and racial equity work
- Adaptable to flexible work hours and environment with evolving program priorities
- Driver’s license and access to a car
- Must have PA Act 33/34 Clearances, FBI Fingerprint Background Check (mandatory)
The payment for a half-time Americorps Coach (900 hours in 12 months) is as follows:
- $7,700.00 living allowance (paid every two weeks)
- $3,172.50 Segal Service Award (to be applied to tuition, student loans, or other related education expenses)
To apply, send your resume and cover letter explaining why you want the job, why we should hire you, and relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than August 10, 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Founded in 2010, Up2Us Sports is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to inspiring youth to achieve their potential by providing them with coaches trained in positive youth development. We do this by identifying, training and supporting coaches in their communities who bring sports-based youth development to the most underserved communities. The Up2Us Coach and Up2Us Training programs empower youth-based organizations across the country to become a united force for meaningful change. Up2Us Coach is the first national service program to identify and train young adults to coach and mentor kids in low income communities. Coaches are trained in youth development and mentoring strategies to promote physical activity, healthy living, and good decision making, while cultivating caring, trust-based relationships with the youth they serve.
AmeriCorps State and National programs provide thousands of Americans each year the opportunity to improve the lives of their fellow citizens through service. A federal agency, AmeriCorps works hand in hand with local partners, tapping the ingenuity and can-do spirit of the American people to tackle some of the most pressing challenges facing our nation. AmeriCorps invests in thousands of nonprofit and faith-based groups that are making a difference across the country. Up2Us Sports is a proud member of the AmeriCorps community. AmeriCorps members are not employees of the Program or of the federal government. The definition of “participant” in the National and Community Service Act of 1990 as amended applies to AmeriCorps members. As such, “a participant (member) shall not be considered to be an employee of the Program in which the participant (member) is enrolled” ((42 U.S.C. 12511(30) (B)). Moreover, members are not allowed to perform an employee’s duties or otherwise displace employees, and therefore generally not eligible to receive unemployment compensation.